Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hockey Night in Doha

I am now a Sand Viper.
Viper for short.
Or just sniper.
They call it the Qatar International Ice Hockey League. As billed, the QIIHL is the hottest game in the desert.
This evening, in our first game, the Vipes were in a tight one against the Molson Canadians, tied at 2 going into the second before going on to a glorious 5-2 defeat.
Surreal moment of the game (aside from the fact that we played in a mall): at the start of the second, the boys are huffing and puffing and skating... and then over the mall's PA, the Muslim call to prayer.
What's it like being back playing hockey after something like a two-year absence?
As the first 20-minute period ended tied at 2, Dan, thinking the game is over, goes, "What happens now? Shootout?"
Coach says, "No man, we play another period."
I'm pretty sure he didn't see my eyes roll back into my head.
Another 20 minutes of this? It felt like I could hardly stand, much less skate.
I managed, of course, conserving vital energy by standing still on the ice as much as possible.
Towards the end, while on the bench, I glance up at the clock... 1:42 left to play.
Thank Christ, I think.
Then the guys come off for a change and I don't want to go on, figuring, guys, finish the game. I look at the clock again. 6.12 to play.
Those 7s can be tricky when you're not wearing your glasses.

1 comment:

  1. What a riot! So you got all sweaty playing on ice (cold), all the while it's 40 something outside!

    Love the second shot.

    ReplyDelete