Tuesday, September 27, 2011

They broke Christmas

The ornaments belonged to my parents.
They date from the 1960s and I've always enjoyed hanging them on the tree during the holiday.
But the Custom Clods here were in a hurry, didn't give a shit or whatever, but you see the result.
My fault, too, for not packing them better.
I know, small problem.
And it is.
I was shooting the breeze with some Nepali guys in Doha that work in a cafeteria (how's that for a segue?), and one guy told me his work schedule.
I thought I heard wrong, so he repeated it.
"Sir, in one month, work 29 days, one day off."
I didn't have the heart to ask what he earns, but the guy who I regularly dial up to drive me around has been here many years and says that guy's probably earning less than 1,000 riyals a month... less than $300.
So, yeah, they broke Christmas, but what's that expression again?
First World problem

No comments:

Post a Comment